1/2/11

Fighting the After-Christmas Blues

So I've been waiting for this moment since the day after the wedding. Everyone said it would come - that it was inevitable. But I just didn't believe them. However, I am now experiencing the post-wedding/Christmas blues. I've heard from other brides that after all the excitement of your wedding is over you kind of have this "well now what?" feeling. Like, why isn't everyone asking me questions? Why doesn't everyone want to take pictures of me? I think the reason I was able to avoid this for so long was that I had so many things to look forward to in the Fall of 2010. The Wedding was in September, Honeymoon went into October, we got back and had tailgates at our Alma mater (M-I-Z...Z-O-U!), two other weddings, Thanksgiving, baby showers, Christmas parties, wedding dress and bridesmaid dress shopping for three of my best friends, engagement parties - not to mention the excitement of getting to decorate our new house for fall and Christmas. Needless to say, I was kept very busy and entertained for the last three months.

This seemed to hit me today as I boxed up all of our Christmas decorations and Hubs took down the Christmas lights. Now I'm sitting in our much-less decorated living room staring at our empty half-dead Christmas tree. On top of this, January, February and March and looking like long stretches of no plans, no holidays to decorate for and getting back to life in the "real world". (Shout out - one bright spot on the horizon is the much anticipated due date of one of my best friends - CANNOT wait to meet Baby G!). So, to try and pump myself back up, I'm going to make a list of all the things I AM looking forward to in 2011. Here we go...

  • Baby G's arrival in February (hopefully late January for the mommy-to-be)
  • The bridal showers, Bachelorette parties and weddings of THREE (can you believe it?!) of my best friends I've known since middle school - April, May, July - can't wait!
  • Celebrating all the "Firsts" with Hubs (1st Valentines Day as a married couple, 1st tax return, 1st Anniversary... things like that)
  • My eligibility for an iPhone upgrade on May 16 (but who's counting?)
  • New episodes/seasons of all my fave TV shows after the winter hiatus 
  • Getting our wedding album and wedding video
  • Continuing to work around our house - painting, lawn scaping, finishing the quarter round in our guest bedroom (wow - being married and owning a home makes me FUN)
  • All the other fun things I don't even know about yet! (see - look at me being positive!)
 So here's to the end of 2010 - and to the beginning of 2011 and everything it will bring. I wish you six people who read this all a fulfilling and happy New Year!

PS Did anyone else know that iPhone alarms weren't going to work the first two days of 2011??? How did I miss this memo!?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not even married and I'm concerned about the post wedding blues! It seems like a lot of my free time is consumed with wedding thoughts I can't imagine what I'm going to do when it's all said and done :) Great blog...will be reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. to have something to look forward to, i suggest making plans;) or start a project.

    ReplyDelete